Week 10: Affordances of audio/visual media

Welcome to ENGL 303: Multimedia Writing Forums Book chapter remix Week 10: Affordances of audio/visual media

This topic contains 10 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  Chasity Robinson 9 years, 1 month ago.

• Author

John Jones
    Keymaster

Post responses based on the instructions here.

jsears3
    Spectator

Affordance: Moving Parts of Video
    One affordance of video is the moving parts of the whole final product. Since the pieces of the video are moving they draw the viewers’ attention to the screen which provides a “gotcha” for the viewers’ attention that reading a text doesn’t guarantee. In this way the moving parts of video expands our ability to share information because we can concisely deliver to a likely more attentive audience. Furthermore the “movie” aspect of video is less strenuous for most and especially those who do not like to read.

Kayla Montgomery
    Spectator

One affordance I think is big in video is how emotions are immediately communicated to the audience. When something is written out vs in video, it’s up to the reader to process the emotions of the story. Where as in video the tone and emotion of a video is shown immediately. Whether its through a person talking, a visual image, or music. Music also plays a big role this, the type of music playing in the background of a video, can almost explain what mood the person or thing is in a video. In actual text none of these things are available.

Tiffany
    Spectator

Affordance: Brevity
    One affordance of video is the ability to succinctly summarize instructions or a task in a short amount of time. For instance, one can access a tutorial video on how to build a bookshelf out of pallets and most likely complete the project within a short timeframe. Conversely, attempting to complete the same project while reading step-by-step through an instruction manual would be much more tedious and time-consuming.

jablosser
    Spectator

One affordance in the video would be visually explaining something that may not be easily understood just by reading. This could be accomplished through diagrams, drawings, or any visual aid. Some things are easier to understand when you can see them, and by adding this affordance to your video, it can increase the viewer’s understanding of our concept.

vmadden
    Spectator

One affordance in the video would be aural mode. This happens with music, sound effects, ambient noise/sounds, and even, silence. Some things can be seen in a different way and take a different approach with feelings, responses, and needed action. So in a video you will have more creepy music in the background to scare someone compared to say, Casablanca, you will have more classical, piano music.

sbloxton
    Spectator

One affordance in video, is that you can communicate both visually and verbally at the same time. This works well for both types of audiences and you can also let the text follow with the speaker (like in subtitles). I think this is useful for clarification as well. It is harder to misunderstand something when you can read and hear it at the same time. I like subtitles because I can remember something I’ve read more easily than something I only heard.

marvarlas
    Spectator

I think the affordance that audio/visual media have over text is the cultural synonymy of the message. A picture is worth a thousand words as the old saying goes because words can become superficial; images are definite and provide something everyone from anywhere in the world can understand, a type of universal language if you will. Audio/visuals are tangible sources of information whereas words can be subjective.

mike sopranik
    Spectator

An affordance of audio/visual media over standard text is the richness and depth of the media. For example I can write “Hello World”. Boring. Yet, when you incorporate sound effects, motion, 3D, animation, soundtrack and other affordances, this simple phrase can come to life and creating ever expanding depths of meaning to different people.
    This will allow me to take a rather obtuse subject and create a remix of the given data to create a completely different meaning. Or, on the other hand, I can remix the chapter by moving parts around and still have the same exact concept as to the way it was originally written. Audio/visual media allows for the creator to even create a concept of a basic written subject, that would require an entire chapter just to explain the conceptualized process of the subject presented.

pboyle623
    Spectator

One affordance of video is navigation. The computer affords clicking on the mouse, selection buttons, arrows, etc to move from screen to screen and site to site.

Chasity Robinson
    Spectator

Affordances of audio/visual media instead of just plain text tend to relate more with the person who is viewing the information. Sound and video helps the person relate more on a personal note than just reading about it. If you think about it if you are reading a book with a sad ending you be sad but if you are watching that on film you are more prone to get really emotional and cry.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.