Week 9: Potential models for the book chapter remix

Welcome to ENGL 303: Multimedia Writing Forums Book chapter remix Week 9: Potential models for the book chapter remix

This topic contains 28 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by  pboyle623 9 years, 1 month ago.

• Author

John Jones
    Keymaster

Here you can post links to videos that might serve as a models—in their style, tone, or some other element—for the book chapter remix.

sbloxton
    Spectator

The video I chose is a Minute Book Report of 1984 by George Orwell. I had trouble figuring out what I wanted, by while doing this I figured out that I wanted something that kept the audiences’ attention, but also provided an analysis. What I like about this video is that is does that, but also flows and is not disrupted. Also, I enjoyed that it wasn’t just someone sitting in front of a camera, occasionally throwing up pictures and talking.

1984 by George Orwell Minute Book Report

• This reply was modified 9 years, 1 month ago by  sbloxton.

John Jones
      Keymaster

Great example! (But why is a one-minute book report 3 minutes long?) You could do the same thing with pen and paper, if you find that is easier (see the video I posted below).

jsears3
    Spectator

I chose a one minute book report on Orwell’s Animal Farm. I found this stylistically pleasing because of its combination of animation and description of the texts story both through summary and analysis. This video keeps the viewers’ attention while also providing all the important facts of a complex piece of literature. Also the art work is overly complicated and I feel like I could do something similar.

John Jones
      Keymaster

@jsears3, to follow up on @sbloxton‘s post as well, it is important to remember that your videos visuals don’t necessarily need to be museum quality for your video to look attractive and compelling.

Further, notice how the author creates visual interest by not simply showing the sketches, but showing the sketching process, so even though these aren’t animations, something is always moving on screen.

Tiffany
    Spectator

I chose a video of children being introduced for the first time to the popular 80s toy Teddy Ruxpin. I found it stylistically pleasing for several reasons. First, it successfully took a nearly forgotten subject and made it relevant again by providing a fresh perspective through the eyes of a younger generation. Personally, I absolutely love Teddy Ruxpin for nostalgic reasons, but some of the younger generation felt that it was outdated and not interesting. That theme is repeated over and over in many facets of life, and it’s essential to recognize that there are valid points to both the old and new schools of thought. Second, the way in which the video was presented was very catchy – who doesn’t love cute children and their uncensored reactions? Third, the creators skilfully interjected information with the use of occasional pop-up factoids at the bottom of the screen. The factoids were easy to read and didn’t interfere with the main focus of the video.

• This reply was modified 9 years, 1 month ago by  Tiffany.

John Jones
      Keymaster

You could definitely use this pop-up factoid method for your own videos. Additionally, the green-screen background technique used in this video can now be done at home. Here is a link for Imovie users (it is more complicated for WMM users).

mike sopranik
    Spectator

I chose Sarah Silverman’s The Bedwetter: Stories of Courage, Redemption, and Pee by Sarah Silverman.
    I chose this format because it is informational and yet not too serious to promote her book. It mixes enough information about the book to create interest, yet she markets the book with her normal offbeat sense of humor.

• This reply was modified 9 years, 1 month ago by  mike sopranik.

John Jones
      Keymaster

I notice two things here: First, the video is primarily in black and white. This gives a fairly static setup—Silverman sitting at her desk—more visual interest. Second, rather than just a single extended take, Silverman uses cuts to different angles—still in the same location—to make sure the video doesn’t seem to boring.

erheyer
    Spectator

I intern at a company called Geostellar they have videos called “Solar Stories” that each address some aspect of getting solar energy. I choose to share the following link with you all because I like the animation and energy in this particular solar story. The color scheme reflects the energy and the pack a ton of information into a short amount of time.

***I’ve edited this post 3 times now and it’s not displaying my link correctly, so here is the url: http://geostellar.com/solar-stories/curious

• This reply was modified 9 years, 1 month ago by  erheyer.
    • This reply was modified 9 years, 1 month ago by  erheyer.

John Jones
      Keymaster

Excellent. You can get some of the same simple animated effects (without learning digital animation) by using cutouts, as in this video:

Kayla Montgomery
    Spectator

I used this video because it uses humor to retell the story. It also uses simple style elements by using still images and music to explain the story. I like how they used slang to explain the storry being that hamlet is a very propper an dwell written story.I think this would be a good way to explain my chapter out of “Blown To Bits”.

John Jones
      Keymaster

Very clever. In addition to your notes, I would point out that the video achieves some of its effects by a contrast in styles: The guy in shorts and a tank-top sitting on a set that looks like Masterpiece Theater. The Disney Channel used to do the same thing with a cartoon show called Mouseterpiece Theater.

• This reply was modified 9 years, 1 month ago by  John Jones.

jablosser
    Spectator

“>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpqAOeFgLRE

This is a video that looks like what our assignment is. I thought this would be helpful because it gave some ideas of what works and doesn’t work. There is one point in the video where you can’t read the words on the screen, so that would be something to watch out for. In addition, some of the features used to fade the screens in and out were stylistically pleasing. Overall, this just gives you an idea of what someone else has done and how you can adapt things you like and change things you don’t.

John Jones
      Keymaster

Excellent Google-fu, @Jablosser! This is a previous assignment for the course. In addition to your comments, I would point out that the video doesn’t make great use of the affordances of video. The viewer is forced to read a bunch of text and only sees occasional images with no voiceover. If the text were replaced with voiceover and the viewer was given more visual examples—or something with more visual interest, as in the many drawing examples above—it would be much improved.

tarinkovalik
    Spectator

This is a short clip of Amy Poehler reading an excerpt from her book “Yes Please.” I liked how Amy paused and laughed at herself. She didn’t read the paragraph word for word. In my remix I would like to add some humor to the chapter. Amy also engages with her audience. I would like to do this in my chapter remix. I don’t think that the video itself is stylistically interesting but the language is.

tarinkovalik
      Spectator

Not sure why my link didn’t post before!

• This reply was modified 9 years, 1 month ago by  tarinkovalik.

John Jones
        Keymaster

Two things about the style: Poehler’s black clothing and the black background focus all of the attention on her, and make the setting seem nice and designed without much effort (the Silverman video above does something similar, but with black and white). Further, like the Silverman video, there are cuts to different angles the same scene for visual interest.

marvarlas
    Spectator

One of the first thoughts that came to my mind when reading the assignment was that we would be creating a sort of “Cliff’s Notes” for a chapter. I know we’re not supposed to condone the use of Cliff’s Notes, being that we’re in a higher-education institution, BUT, I like how they can make cumbersome ideas and complex stories easy to grasp and comprehend. This is why I chose my below video. I’m not sure how I feel about doing an animated video, but I do like the idea of visuals to accompany the story telling. I also think keeping the information broad is helpful for someone to retain the important information quickly.

• This reply was modified 9 years, 1 month ago by  marvarlas.

John Jones
      Keymaster

See my notes on the videos above—particularly @jsears3 and @erheyer‘s—for ideas on low-tech animation methods.

pboyle623
    Spectator

Thos video explains a technique for fishing in grass or lily pads. It is very informative in assisting fishers with proper techniques for site fishing and use of lures/baits.

vmadden
    Spectator

Elders React to Challenges! (Cinnamon, Salt & Ice, & Milk Chug)

I chose a video about the elderly being introduced to what the younger generation does when it comes to Cinnamon, Salt & Ice, & Milk Chug. I feel like I am some of these elderly people because these type of challenges disgust me. Even one guy said, “What does that do to your lungs?” when he watched the girls do the cinnamon challenge. It is very entertaining to wait all their different reactions as they go through the three. The older generation is not as tech savvy as the younger, so seeing what goes on in the world now, made their reactions even better. What the older generation did was much different than the younger. Also the fact that they picked the older generation to look at this than say, the younger generation, their responses are really different. I even looked at the Twerking one and a few others before I came down to this one. This video shows a lot of information of how things have changed throughout time.

Chasity Robinson
    Spectator

I chose the video “Where Good Ideas Come From” by Steven Johnson. It is a video that shows how ideas come about. It also proves that once you build something you can always go back and make it even better.

John Jones
      Keymaster

Great example. Two points: Notice how the video is sped up; your viewers don’t necessarily want to watch you draw in realtime.

Next, you don’t have to draw this well to make use of this effect. See some of the stick figure drawing at the top of the thread for ideas.

John Jones
    Keymaster

Here is a video created by a student in a previous version of the class. She uses a pen, paper, and some editing techniques to create a clever, visually interesting video that doesn’t require advanced graphical or videography skills.

pboyle623
    Spectator

http://youtu.be/Wx9vPv-T511

This video provides information on how Tsunamis are formed, but in an easy to understand and illustrated method. Although this video is geared toward a younger audience, it provide an explanation that adults can appreciate it too.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.