Performance Evaluations

Description and Policies Forums Discussion Forum Performance Evaluations

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  aan 2 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

aan
    Participant

Normal

false
    false
    false

EN-US
    JA
    X-NONE

/* Style Definitions */
    table.MsoNormalTable
    {mso-style-name:”Table Normal”;
    mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;
    mso-tstyle-colband-size:0;
    mso-style-noshow:yes;
    mso-style-priority:99;
    mso-style-parent:”";
    mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt;
    mso-para-margin:0in;
    mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt;
    mso-pagination:widow-orphan;
    font-size:12.0pt;
    font-family:Cambria;
    mso-ascii-font-family:Cambria;
    mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin;
    mso-hansi-font-family:Cambria;
    mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin;}

Evaluations can be an intimidating but from my experience with other jobs that I have had, it is invaluable. Peter Varhol’s article  “Preparing for Performance Review” provides a unique perspective on how an employee can “turn the tables and to make the performance review a showcase for yourself and your achievements” which is interesting because the power dynamic is now switched. Zimmerman’s “Prepping for your Annual Review” also seems to agree with this idea by saying that this could be the opportunity for an employee to ask for a specific project they wanted. This is almost like when a teenager tells a parent a positive thing like getting an A for an exam to bring up a negative situation. In the rhetoric class that we are taking, I learned this is called the ‘Kairos,’ or the right moment.

Another interesting idea that was brought up in the readings was that these performance reviews provide you the opportunity to check if the goals that you have concur with the company. Sometimes an intern can be passionate about all of the wonderful things he or she brings to the table and this can lead to forgetting what the company goals are. If there were no performance reviews, the intern would continue working hard and would not realize that what he or she was working for was pointless.

Additionally, the minute that you step into your internships, your evaluations have already begun. I know that in my other job, during my evaluation, my boss highlighted or mentioned tasks from months ago. It is almost like you are building your credibility and work ethic with each little task. When looked at it from this perspective, it becomes important to pay attention to details and to put forth the same effort day in and day out.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.