Mac Installation of Word Press

Home Forums WordPress and WP24 Mac Installation of Word Press

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Toni 3 years, 7 months ago.

• Author

Toni
    Participant

I’ve downloaded WordPress, MariaDB, and a few other things that the MariaDB page said to download. Now I have a bunch of files on my computer and I have no idea what to do with them. Would it be any easier to just use my husband’s computer and do the Windows installation?

Toni

John Jones
    Keymaster

Some clarification: the textbook explains how to install WordPress on your own website—for example, Toni.com—but you are not required to do so. You can if you like, but doing so requires you to purchase a domain name—toni.com—and pay a web host to put your site online.

I specifically skipped I.3 in the WP24 book because you don’t need to install WordPress. You can install your own version of WordPress if you like—it is actually a good practice for a lot of things—but it is not a requirement for the course.

Instead, we are using WordPress.com to set up your sites. WordPress.com is free; they host the sites on their server—for example, toni.wordpress.com. You do need to create an account at wordpress.com for your personal site, and later, you will create another one for your Issue/cause site.

It won’t give you all the options you would have if you had your own WordPress install—you don’t have much freedom to alter themes or add plugins, for example. However, for the purposes of this course, that is okay, and if you ever decide you would like to buy your own domain and host your sites yourself, you can always export a wordpress.com site and upload it to your new host.

Let me know if that clarifies things. If you still want to install your own version of WordPress on your own domain for this course, let me know and I can help you through that process.

Cheers,

John

Toni
    Participant

John,

It is so great to know that we don’t have to install Word Press! If I were to decide to do so (simply because I would like to have a decent amount of knowledge on the process) would section 1.3 likely do an adequate job in guiding me?

I don’t feel that I would want to do so specifically for this class or even within this semester, but I may want to buy a URL for other purposes.

Thank you!
    Toni

John Jones
    Keymaster

@Toni, section I.3 should cover the process in depth (there is also a lot of information about this online). It is more likely, however, that your web host would have an automated process for installing WordPress to your site.

Toni
    Participant

@John, awesome! Thanks for your help.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.