Tasks to complete, Week 15

Your three remaining projects are due before 5 p.m. on Friday of this week.

Keep two things in mind as you complete these projects: first, be sure to carefully reread the assignment descriptions—particularly for the personal website—to make sure that your final projects meet all of the requirements for these assignments.

Next, be sure to review my notes on your previous projects. You should take into account my feedback on your issue/cause websites when putting the finishing touches on your personal sites, for example, and incorporate my feedback on your videos for those sites when completing your remix videos.

As always, let me know if you have any questions.

Tasks to complete during Weeks 9-11

Keep on top of your regular forum posts during these weeks. Remember: to receive full credit, the DL(s) must post a 250+ word post before 9 a.m. on Monday of the week, as well as an additional response to someone else’s post of at least 150 words before 5 p.m. on Friday. Everyone else must post one response to the initial question of at least 150 words and an additional response to another students’ post of at least 75 words, all before 5 p.m. on Friday.

Also remember that the final version of your issue/cause website is due before 9 a.m. on 3/31. If you have any questions or concerns about your project, please let me know.

Tasks to complete during Weeks 7-8

Remember that your forum posts and replies for Week 7 are due before 5 p.m. on Friday, 2/21.

For Week 8, there are no readings or assigned DLs. (I have, however, assigned a reading related to designing your websites; I will email everyone the pdf before Friday 2/21.)

I will assign a discussion topic for Week 8 and post it to the forum before 9 a.m. on Monday, 2/24. As with other weeks, you will need to add a post and a reply to the thread before 5 p.m. on Friday, 2/28.

I have cancelled the forum post and reading for Week 8. Use this time to work on your projects.

Additionally,

• Your first five blog posts are due before 5 p.m. on 2/28, and
  • your post to the “Book chapter remix” forum explaining in detail your plans for your chapter remix video is due before 9 a.m. on 3/3.

The midterm is 2/28. During Week 9 I will post a midterm report to everyone’s course folders on Google Drive.

If for some reason you have not yet created your course folder and shared it with me, consult the instructions here and do so before Friday, 2/28, to make sure that you receive your midterm report in a timely fashion.

As always, let me know if you have any questions.

Tasks to complete during the second week of class

The following is a list of tasks and assignments that you must complete before the beginning of the third week of classes, on Tuesday, Jan. 21.

Before 5 p.m. on Friday, Jan. 17:

• Read your classmates’ questions about the course and syllabus and my responses in the “Syllabus and course site questions” forum. Add any additional questions you might have.
  • Complete the readings listed on the schedule for Jan. 13-17 and
  • post your response to the prompt for Week 2 on the “Week 2″ topic in the “Weekly Discussion” forum. (I will usually refer to this particular forum as the “discussion forum.”).

Before 9 a.m. on Tuesday, Jan. 21:

• Create an account at WordPress.com for your personal website (you do not need to install your own version of WordPress; see my comment here) then
  • If you do not already have one, create a Google Drive account and
    • create a folder (I will often refer to these folders as your course folders) for your 303 course work,
    • title the folder using the format ENGL303-SP14-Lastname (for example, a student named Zaphod Beeblebrox would have folder titled ENGL303-SP14-Beeblebrox), and
    • share that folder (not individual documents, the entire folder) with jmj5805 [at] gmail [dot] com. Information about sharing on Google Drive can be found here. The folder’s “visibility settings” should be set to “private,” and, when you share it with me, my “access level” should be “editor.”
    • Once you have successfully created the folder and shared it with me, you can turn in documents by
      1. uploading them to Google Drive then
      2. adding them to your course folder.
  • If you do not already have one, create a Google+ account and add me to one of your circles.
  • Look for my email with the schedule for forum discussion leaders (DLs); the scheduled DL should add his or her initial topic post, titled “Week 3,” to the “Weekly Discussion” forum. (Update, 1/9: if you would like to request to be a DL for a particular week, post your request to this thread on the forum.)

Tasks to complete during the first week of class

The following is a list of tasks that you must complete before the beginning of the second week of classes, on Monday, Jan. 13.

Before 9 a.m. on Monday, Jan. 13:

• Register for an account on this site so you can access the forums. I will have to give you permission to post to the course forums, so when you register, be sure to use your real name somewhere in your profile so I know it is you, and be sure to register early so you will have time to add your first post to the forum.
  • Purchase all the required course texts. (If you will not be able to meet this requirement before this deadline, please contact me prior to this deadline to discuss this issue. You should only buy Blown to Bits if you want to own a physical copy. The book is available as a free download here.)
  • Scan the other course requirements. If you will not be able to meet any of them, please contact me prior to this deadline to discuss the issue.
  • Complete the readings listed on the schedule for Jan. 8-10.